Pages

Friday 25 November 2011

FREEDOM!

Greetings Earthlings,

    I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorry. I haven't posted in a while (like two days) but the last one didn't count, it was one line, I think. So, you know. But I have a life, I'm a busy person. Who cares if I spend most of my time lazing around my freaking house in pajamas watching re-runs of Bones and talking to people on social-networking sites? That's a life! ...right?

     Alright, so today I wanted to talk to you guys about something making my life infinitely better, lack of Facebook! That's right everyone...I QUIT! HOORAY!

     I'm going to have a little heart-to-heart with you all right now, I'm going through that stage of my life where, let's be honest, I'm about to start having those-times-of-the-month, and I really can't control my hormones. I feel insecure about my body and angry at people who are only trying to help me, generally I just feel like crap. And so when I told my mom about this, she suggested to me I quit some of my nasty habits in order to work on my health. And so I took a stand and deactivated Facebook.

     Upon deactivating your account, Facebook actually brings you to this page in which it shows pictures you were tagged in with other people, for the sake of this post we'll say it showed a picture of me and my friend Emma, and over the picture will be a caption that says "Emma will miss you". There are at least five pictures like this. Once you skip that page it's a page asking you why you're quitting, and then it finally lets you deactivate. I noticed Facebook was really hostile about this, as if they were sing everything in their power to convince you to stay. It really only made me want to go more.

      The first night after I deactivated. I noticed my computer time must have cut down by at least an hour. I occurred to me that although I wouldn't just sit on Facebook for an hour at a time, when I was bored I would say to myself "What's happening on Facebook?". Even if I was only on around ten minutes each time, only six visits and I was at an hour, it kept building up. Now, I feel as if I have a lot more time to spend doing more productive things (like blogging!)

     I've also noticed that no one even cares I deactivated. I had over two hundred friends on my Facebook account, and yet not one of them mentioned to me they noticed I had left, or even asked me about it. It really shows you how even though people are your "friends" on Facebook, it doesn't mean they necessarily care about you in real life.

     I had had Facebook for around two years, and after a while, it kind of started becoming part of y everyday routine, Get home, homework, food, Facebook. I didn't even think twice about logging in and searching people I haven't seen in years. I think like coffee or tobacco, it's addictive. People get hooked and can't stop. When they want to deactivate, they say things like "Oh people will miss me" or "I won't be able to talk to that guy I knew from kindergarten". But in truth, no one will even notice. It's funny, actually.

     Anyways, there's my two cents worth on the cons of Facebook. Maybe after reading this you'll realise it's basically just controlling your life like I did. No, I feel a lot less pressure and freedom from Chat boxes with relatives you haven't seen in a while. I feel a lot less pressure and I'm loving it :)

DFTBA
Olivia :D

No comments:

Post a Comment