Pages

Friday 18 November 2011

M.I.T...fun times :D

Greetings Earthlings,

    So yesterday my friend Emma left our home town to go to Boston for the weekend so she can participate in this year's M.I.T Splash program, unfortunately I couldn't go, but I figured I would tell you guys a little but about my experience from last year.

    For starters, Splash is a program that runs every year  for high school and middle school students at M.I.T. All the classes are taught by M.I.T undergraduates which is pretty sweet. And basically you go online and you pick your classes, which vary between things like "How to survive a zombie apocalypse" to "Canada, and why you shouldn't live there". Then, you bring something like twenty bucks and you spend a whole weekend taking courses about awesome things, it's great.

    So last year, Emma and I drove seven hours and ended up at Splash M.I.T. We got there in the morning and waited in line for a bit before getting into M.I.T and beginning our courses. If I had my schedule still, I would definitely share it with you, but I don't, because like I said, this was a year ago. But anyways, I took some classes on data management (because I'm a nerd) and other pretty lame subjects, but one stood out in particular for me, so bad, I actually snuck out.

    So, the class was called "Who wants to be millionaire?" and Emma convinced to take it with her. I assumed  it was going to be some sort of talk show kind of deal, so I was pretty excited, but was I ever wrong. Turns out the class was about the seven unsolved math questions of history, and if they were solved, the reward was a million dollars. The class was literally two hours of the guy writing out each math question (they were LONG) and explaining to us why they we're unsolvable. It was torture, and after an hour, I knew I had to escape. I literally wrote Emma a not saying meet me at lunch, got up, said I was double booked for another class and had to go, and got the heck out of there. I RAN out of that room. So that was to worst class I took.

    Don't be put off by that story though, there are a lot of awesome classes at M.I.T. I took one called "Canada, and why you shouldn't live there" which was highly amusing for me since I am Canadian. The class was three M.I.T students explaining why Canada was horrible, then they had a quiz about Canada (all the answers were false. One of the questions was "What is the capital of Canada?" and the answer was supposedly "Beerville") and the winners got to pick a prize of a stuffed beaver, a Canadian toonie, or maple syrup. At the end, people were appauled to discover I was Canadian, but I got a real kick out of it.

    Once, when I was trying to find my "Introduction to Chinese Art History" class, I stumbled upon this beautiful room in which the floor was covers in mosaic floor tiles that reflected onto the glass ceiling above. After I had found it, Emma and I spent a half hour trying to find it again. We thought we had given up, when we came across it a couple hours later (We hadn't been searching all that time, we weren't THAT desperate) Anyways, Emma saw the room, and wasn't nearly as impressioned as me, until a boy and a girl looking slightly older than us appeared and the boy screamed "BUTTERFLY! LOOK! IT'S THE ROOM ONLY HEARD OF IN LEGENDS!" Emma didn't really know what to so, but I just turned over to her and whispered "Told you." So yeah, that was epic.

    One extremely disappointing event that happened during our experience was Emma and I were walking and happened upon a bulletin board with a sign reading:

ONLY FOR SPLASH STUDENTS!
The Purple Elephant is testing out a new chocolate today in room (I forget the room)
Come try some free chocolate!

    Emma and I just kinda lost it at that point, and so we pranced happily to the room, only to discover there was no chocolate, it was a SCAM. So that sucked.

    Anyways, M.I.T was an awesome experience, even though I almost died (Another day, children, another day) And I'm super sad I couldn't come this year D: Oh well! I hope you have an awesome time Emma! Tell me all about it! And I'll see you guys tomorrow!

DFTBA
Olivia :D

P.S I got this sick shirt while I was there:
I had to take that picture with my foot, so enjoy that :)

2 comments: