Pages

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Self-Esteem

Greetings Earthlings,

     Slightly more serious subject today, but, and although I don't like to admit it. I'm extremely self-conscious. The internet is probably not the best place to let this out, but whatever, I'd doing it anyways.

     Yeah, you probably know what I'm talking about. Everyone has it every so often. The thing is though, I'm not self-conscious for the reasons you might think.

     I know I'm a complete nerd. That's not it. In fact. I think it's the quality I love most about myself.

     I know I can be obnoxious and things, that's okay too. Everyone has their moments.

     I think the thing that makes me so self-conscious is the fact I'm constantly comparing myself to other people...

     If you just looked at me, I'm not fat. In fact, I'm a completely healthy, normal weight. And yet I compare myself to other girls my age, like for example, Alicia. She's got a model body. And so although I'm not fat, when standing next to girls like her I feel like it (Nothing against you, Alicia.)

     Or, I'm not stupid. I'm smart, definitively intellegent. And yet when I compare myself to people like Emma, I am significantly inferior. So even though I'm smart, the fact that Emma is smarter makes me feel stupid. (again, nothing against Eem)

     Anyways. I'm sure at least once you've had that doubt inside of you. Like "everyone seems to have that quality they excel at, what the heck is mine?!" Well, that's what I feel a lot. And I know it's because my hormones are out of whack. But it sucks.

     Okay, that's enough ranting. Sorry if I wasted a lot of your time on this post. Woops. Also, just like to mention, I am not asking for a pity party here, I just wanted to share my feelings with you guys. So don't think I'm doing this for attention, it's a lie.

DFTBA
Olivia

   

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to meet a single normal human woman who doesn't have those thoughts every once in a while. Many have them daily. The standard of beauty in our current society is maintained at a literally impossible level. Thanks to the miracle of photoshop, makeup artists, plastic surgery and a large number of famous people willing to starve and manipulate themselves into unhealthy shapes, what we compare ourselves to is a fantasy. Even the most beautiful, trim, and sexy of those fantasy women has (in real life) stretch marks, bumps, funny hairs on their toes, a weird birthmark, a skinny butt, or any number of tiny quirks that come from being human.

    Men have this to, in other categories, but I can only speak from my own standpoint. My advice (whether or not you can actually put it to use, as a lot of this is pure emotion) is to stop this kind of thinking as early as you can. You are not just "normal", you are a gorgeous, quirky girl. Those things that you feel might not be good enough to compare with other people? I guarantee someone is looking at you the same way, wondering how you ever got so fantastically and amazingly confident and pretty and why their left in the dust. It might even be that same person you think is your own superior.

    So get your head outta that bad place! ^_^

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete